1985 – The School of Visual Arts, New York City. Graduated with B.F.A. in fine arts. Continued education in marketing & advertising at Montclair State University, NJ
Artist and creative marketing director for fortune 100 companies, pharmaceutical, financial and commercial real estate industries
2018 – Artexpo New York Int’l Art Fair, New York City Pier 94
2018 – Art Palm Beach Int’l Art Fair, West Palm Beach, FL
2017 – Red Dot Miami Int’l Art Fairs, Miami, FL
2017 – Bailey Contemporary Arts Gallery, Pompano Beach (Ft Lauderdale), FL
2017 – “Florida International Trade and Cultural Expo” #FITCE17, artist invitation from the Broward County Cultural and Arts to exhibit solo at Broward County Convention Center, Ft Lauderdale, FL
2006 – Walter Wickiser gallery, New York, NY
2005 – CS Schulte gallery, Millburn, NJ
2003 – Simon Gallery, Morristown, NJ
2000 – Walter Wickiser gallery, New York, NY
2000 – Morris Museum of Art, Morristown, NJ
2000 – Johnson & Johnson World Headquarters gallery, NJ, “New Jersey artists series”
2000 – Simon Gallery, Morristown, NJ
1999 – Nabisco Gallery, East Hanover, NJ “New Jersey Artists Series”
1999 – Educational Testing Service, Princeton, NJ “New Jersey Artists Series”
1998 – CS Schulte gallery, Millburn, NJ
1998 – Sharing Plough Corp., World Headquarters gallery at Giralda Farms estates, Madison, NJ. “New Jersey artists series”
1997 – O.K. Harris gallery, New York, NY
1994 – The Dow Jones & Company Headquarters Gallery, Princeton, NJ “New Jersey Artists Series”
1993 – MetLife Gallery, New York, NY
2018 – Design Center of The Americas, interior designers special event exhibition, Ft Lauderdale, FL
2017 – “Postcard Exhibit for fundraising” to renovate New Mexico State U Art Gallery
2017 – “Truth and Reconciliation” Little Haiti Cultural Complex Gallery, Miami, FL
2017 – “Art Boca Raton” Int’l Pavilion of the Palm Beaches at Florida Atlantic University
2017 – “Art Palm Beach” Palm Beach Convention Center
2005 – “Figuration” New Jersey Center for Visual Arts Gallery, NJ
2001 – “The NJ Fine Arts Annual”, The Noyes Museum of Art, NJ
2001 – “The Art of Collecting” New Jersey Center for Visual Arts Gallery, NJ
2000 – “Traveling Show” Morris Museum, Morristown, NJ & The Morris Museum of Art, Augusta, GA
2000 – “Annual Art Talent” New American Paintings, catalog show
1999 – “Acrylic painters, Works on Paper” CS Schulte Gallery, Millburn, NJ
1998 – “The New Jersey Fine Arts Annual”, The Montclair Art Museum, NJ, Catalog show
1998 – City Without Walls gallery, Newark, NJ
1998 – “In Defense of the Enigmatic” Seton Hall University School of Law, Newark, NJ, curated by Stephen Sennott from City Without Walls gallery
1997 – “Works on Paper” Pritz gallery, Mayville, NY
1997 – “Acrylic painters” CS Schulte Gallery, Millburn, NJ
1997 – JCB Int’l Co. Rockefeller Plaza, NYC, curated by Walter Wickiser gallery NYC
1997 – Three-person show, Simon gallery, Morristown, NJ
1996 – “Works on Paper” Four persons show. CS Schulte Gallery, Millburn, NJ
1996 – “Art for new collectors” CS. Schulte Gallery, Millburn, NJ
1995 – “Landscapes, Past and Present” CS. Schulte Gallery, Millburn, NJ
1994 – Ocean County College, Toms River, NJ
1994 – Watchung Arts Center, NJ
1994 – New Jersey Center for Visual Arts Gallery, NJ
1994 – Somerset County Cultural & Heritage Gallery, NJ
1994 – Marcella Geltman gallery, Art Center of Northern NJ
1994 – Ridgewood Art Center, NJ
1993 – Merill Lynch Corporate Headquarters Gallery, Princeton, NJ
1993 – The Williams gallery, Princeton, NJ
1988 – Visual Arts Gallery, New York, NY
GRANTS AND AWARDS
Mid-Atlantic Artists Fellowship 2001/2002.
Recipient of Geraldine Dodge Award, Artist in Residence, NJ series, 1997.
Rutgers University Innovative Works on Paper & Printmaking Project, 1998.
CURATORIAL AND ART ADVISORY
– 2000-2002 Merrill Lynch art advisor for the corporate art collections. Curated 2 annual art shows at HQ in Princeton, NJ.
– 1993-1999 MetLife art advisor for the corporate art collections. Curated 3 annual art shows featuring North East artists at the MetLife art gallery in New York City and Bridgewater, NJ.
SELECTED CURATED EXHIBITIONS
– “Printmaking Council of NJ at MetLife”.
– “A Mark of Excellence” a collection of art works from Raritan Valley College.
– “Looking within, Looking without” photographs by Ralph Maratta.
– “New York New York” “Selections from the Merrill Lynch collection” Rauschenberg, Motherwell, Oldenburg, among other leading artists.
– “African-American Artists” Selected works from Rutgers Center for Innovative Print & Paper, Ringgold, Gilliam, Brooker, Bullock, Burwell and Jarvis.
The Montclair Art Museum, Morris Museum, MetLife, Pulsar International Mexico, Lucent Technologies, Nabisco Company, Johnson & Johnson, Schering Plough Corp., The Dow Jones & Company, Merrill Lynch, Educational Testing Service, Tanagraphics Inc. NYC, and Numerous private collections.
PUBLICATIONS AND MEDIA REVIEWS
– Gallery quality 50 pages catalog of the artist artworks titled “Syria – Aleppo Urban Landscapes” 2015-2017 was published in conjunction with the Bailey Contemporary Arts, December 2017.
– Tadashi Nakamae, the International Economy magazine, 2003.
– Steven Zevitas, Publisher, The Open Studios Press, New American Paintings, 2001.
– Dan Bischoff, The Star Ledger, New Jersey Artists series, June 2000”.
– Ralph Bellantoni, Courier News, ‘Biennial’ show gives art a new dimension, March 2000.
– Tina Traster, NJ Savvy Living, “The art of collecting fine art a learning experience” June 2000.
– Rachel Mullen, Recorder News, “Geometry & whimsy combined” April 2000.
– William Zimmer, The New York Times, “An Annual Appraisal of the Urge to Innovate” July 19, 1998.
– Pakesha Pettus, Mount Olive Cronicles, July, 1998.
– Dan Bischoff, The Star Ledger, Choosing New Jersey “1998 NJ Fine Arts Annual”.
– The Recorder, Publishing News, NJ, January 1997.
– Matt Sheehan, The Examinar, Ocean County NJ, Oct.1994.
– Arnold Friedman, Date Line Journal, Passaic County newspaper, NJ, Feb. 1994.
– Emanuel Haller, The Courier News, Sumerset County newspaper, NJ, July 1993.
– School of Visual Arts annual exhibition book, 1983.
THE ART PROCCESS
The process of each painting is a simple 3 steps process in storytelling and follows a building construction, starting with a black and white loose sketch or underpainting of a realistic scene. The deconstruction process begins by applying translucent bold paint of strokes to finish with a fragmented expressionist painting of the scene. All my artwork are in series and some of the smaller format paintings final step is to assemble a minimum of six paintings to form one artwork and larger paintings are individual artworks.
MEDIA ARTICLES & PRESS RELEASES
Voyage Miami Magazine 1/18, 2018
Blasting News – Interview by Megan Meehan
PRESS RELEASES ARTICLES LINKS
ART PALM BEACH
Yahoo Finance – https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tony-khawams-vision-syrias-war-210400625.html
CBS News Channel 10 News – Texas (online media publishing, this is one of many published) http://www.newschannel10.com/story/37194800/tony-khawams-vision-of-syrias-war-torn-cities-aleppo-urban-landscapes-at-art-palm-beach-with-jeff-whymans-steel-figures-and-mkrtich-mazmanians
ABC News Kake.com Kansas – http://www.kake.com/story/37194800/tony-khawams-vision-of-syrias-war-torn-cities-aleppo-urban-landscapes-at-art-palm-beach-with-jeff-whymans-steel-figures-and-mkrtich-mazmanians
View digital sample of Khawam Art Catalogue: https://e.issuu.com/embed.html#31844974/55569936